SSSC 23 Things Digital – Thing 7: Finding Resources

I tried to open an account for myself on 1 st September 2017 however my organisation was not registered with Open Athens so I sent Open At...

Tuesday 10 October 2017

SSSC 23 Things Digital – Thing 7: Finding Resources

I tried to open an account for myself on 1st September 2017 however my organisation was not registered with Open Athens so I sent Open Athens an email regarding what to do next.

I received an email back from the Open Athens explaining that I should register as a NHS Partner as they do not have small businesses on their organisations list. It took a few days for them to confirm my account with them.

I browsed through the SSKS resources on 18 Sep. 17 and searched for articles on Dyspraxia. This is a subject that I am interested in as I was diagnosed with dyspraxia in 2013. I found a lot of articles on dyspraxia in children but as many about dyspraxia in adults. It was very interesting.

I also browsed through articles on cerebral palsy as not only have I been working with more clients with cerebral palsy in the past year or so but I also have some friends with cerebral palsy and it was informative to read the books and articles and learn more about the subject. For example I learned that cerebral palsy is not diagnosed at birth but is based on how a child approaches their developmental targets and that the majority of the time cerebral palsy is caused by events before the child is born although further research is needed into the causes.

As with the SSKS resources, I used google search to look further into cerebral palsy. The results of the search found mostly news sites and tabloid articles which I found wasn’t as useful as the SSKS but was easier to understand than some of the articles on SSKS as the language was simpler.

I have never used Google advanced search prior to this badge. When researching for university work I have found it useful to use the Google Books function as you can search for the information you need directly and it will bring up a list of books which mention the search query and allow you to read a page or two of the book where the query is mentioned. This is limited as you cannot read the whole text and that may affect the context of the information you find but it does help you find what books you would need to read to find out more.

While Wikipedia is generally not a good source of information as it is open for the public to change, it can be useful to look at the article’s list of sources at the bottom of the page. Speaking to a reference librarian is also a good way of pointing yourself in the right direction.

As a current university student I also have full access to any university library in Scotland as long as I register. I am currently registered with two university libraries. The public library is also a good resource particularly as some public libraries can give you access not only to physical books but also can provide e-books as part of their membership.

Old second-hand bookshops or independent bookshops often have very knowledgeable owners and can also have copies of books which are out of print which can be very useful.



No comments:

Post a Comment